I suppose most people would call me crazy for even attempting cloth diapers. But I did my research prior to Forest's birth, and filled my changing table with prefolds, diaper pins and a couple different kind of covers. I have Flips: a one size fits all cover that uses a system of snaps to adjust it. Just fold the prefold (an old fashioned diaper) into thirds, lay it inside of the cover and snap it up. Or one can put the diaper on the old fashioned way...pin it, and then put the cover on. I also have covers by Bummies that fasten with velcro, and a few of the good ol plastic Gerber pants (I have not use these yet). I love the Bummies and Flips!
Initially I used disposables during the first month because they fit better and were easier to deal with. I still use one at night, so that I don't have to change him so frequently, and I use them when we are away from home.
The perks of cloth diapers: Fewer leaks, they are nice and soft, environmentally friendly (That was not a deciding factor for me but I suppose it could be considered a perk), and saves a small fortune. I have read websites where women have done the math, including the cost of laundering, and using cloth exclusively until potty trained saves approximately 2,500 (that is what convinced me). I figured that by using cloth diapers and nursing, we would save enough to buy a front load washing machine and dryer in a year or two.:) What can I say? I'm cheap!
The drawbacks: More frequent changes (about every two hours or so) and laundry. I would suppose that any diaper should be changed every two hours, but disposables are so absorbent that they don't get changed that often. As for laundry, I think I am getting a system that works. I wash diapers every two or three days. If they are dirty, I rinse them in the sink downstairs, otherwise, I use a dry pail with baking soda. The night before wash day, I soak them in cold water with an oxygen cleaner like Oxyclean or Sun. Then I wash them in hot water & my homemade detergent, and follow with an extra cold water rinse and 1/2 cup of vinegar. I dry them on the clothes line when the weather permits. Sunshine works like a natural whitener. Back in the day, women used to soak them in a bleach solution. They strongly recommend against that now, not only because of the harshness against the baby's skin, but because it breaks down the material of the diaper, decreasing their longevity. Also, you are not supposed to soak the covers. So stain removal is a huge challenge, and doesn't always happen. But, as long as they come out smelling clean, I am satisfied.
I almost backed out on using them. I reasoned that I could sell them online and get most of my money back (they are hot items right now), but I gave it a try, and have found that it really isn't all that bad at all. And the best part is that with proper care, I can use them for future children, doubling my savings. So, while the use of cloth diapers might not be for everyone, it has been a relatively good experience for me thus far. Best cloth diaper website that I have found: www.cottonbabies.com
Labor Day Weekend
14 years ago

4 comments:
I had to resort to bleach for my diapers. It was the ONLY way to keep ammonia away. I battled it for a year and finally gave in. I only have to use a little dash and it keeps them clean. It has so much to do with your water. Plus in the summer I can't line dry mine.
I wouldn't use your gerber pants, they stink. You should get some Dappi Nylon pants. They are really cheap to have on hand as an extra and they are very trim. I love them.
Also, if you are exclusively breast feeding, you don't have to rinse out the diapers. And when you start solids you HAVE to get a diaper sprayer. It's a must. :)
Amanda
The Gerber pants were a gift...I figure I can use them in a pinch.:) I will try the Dappis. When he outgrows the Bummies, I will have to purchase a few more covers.
I have found that when I rinse the dirty diapers with a bit of Ivory dish soap, they stain less. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.
As far as diaper sprayers, I have heard mixed comments. One of my friends said it splashes water all over the place and felt it was a waste of money. What kind do you have?
Erica, great blog! I always used a diaper liner and being "cheap" I just used a bounty select-a-size piece of paper towel as my liner and it worked great. I never had a diaper sprayer and used cloth on my kids, Emma until she was potty trained and the boys all to varying ages. And I never used bleach either, the sun worked best for me. Just some of my opinions. Take 'em or leave 'em!
Liz
I would really like to make a worthwhile comment on this topic, but I've got nothin.
:) You are pretty brave though. I thought that from the moment you said cloth diapers.
Post a Comment