Saturday, February 14, 2009

Movie Review: "The Changeling"

The Changeling is a true story, directed by Clint Eastwood, set in 1928 Los Angeles. It centers on one woman's perserverence to find her missing son, and her stand against a very corrupt L.A. police force. The strength of Christine Collins (Angeline Jolie), in light of the persecution she faced, was incredible.

Because of the talented acting, historical settings and costumes, it felt as though I was being pulled into the 1920's. I can't really say I "enjoyed" the movie because of its sad nature, but I feel that it tastefully and accurately tells a story that deserves to be told. I will note that because several elements of the actual story is so horrific, Clint Eastwood took great measures to tone things down for the screen. I am very impressed by his directing skills. Here is an account of true life events: (Spoiler Alert) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Collins#Christine_and_Walter_Collins

I like true accounts and dramas that make me contemplate human nature..."The Changeling" did that. It also made me wonder: "If the L.A. police department was so horribly corrupt in 1928, how much worse is our system now?" As for my recommendation, it depends on if you like this genre of movie or not. Many people do not like to view the grit of real human nature and the grief it can cause. On that note, I must warn my readers that this is an R rated movie. There are a couple scenes involving/implying murder, brief nudity during a hose down at a mental facility, and moments of strong language. Please refer to this website for a detailed description of content. Ihttp://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0004331.cfm

1 comment:

DuPeire Family said...

Awesome! I will remember this review when we go to rent our next movie! Sounds good!